All It Takes Is The Right Tulle

Since we’re getting married outdoors, it was decided early (in my head) that the decorations would ideally be weather-proof. Sure the chances of rain in August are slim, but nonetheless, it wouldn’t do to not be prepared. Also, we’re getting married in the morning, so the more things we can do the day before that won’t be destroyed by dew, the better!

Where did that leave us? Well, it left us with tulle. Lots and lots and lots of tulle. How much, you ask? Well, 450 yards, of course. That’s also known as 411.48 meters. Yes, we have nearly half a km of tulle. Now, before you think we’re insane (although we probably are), you should know that we got 150 yards of 3 different colours of tulle. The intent is to use them together, either braided or draped, to emulate our wedding colours.

This is what 450 yards of tulle looks like

This is what 450 yards of tulle looks like

I decided that at least for part of it, I wanted tulle flowers as accent points (and to cover staples and whatnot). It took some searching, but I found exactly what I was looking for in this tutorial on Chasing Paper Dreams. I followed it fairly closely except instead of doing a single layer of tulle for each petal, I nested a smaller dark blue petal inside a larger light blue one.

I started the thread partway through one of the shorter sides

Weaved it through close to the edge all the way around

Using the same thread as the other petals, I pulled it up tight to them

Following the same procedure as the blue petal, I just made sure to pull the light blue petal tight over top of the darker blue one

The Final Product

The Final Product

The final product used nearly 2 feet of tulle of each colour, which is pretty crazy. Fortunately, with 150 yards to work with, I don’t think a dozen or two of them will really make much of a dent.

If I start now, and do one a week, I will have 16 in time for the wedding. Since the goal is 17, that’s close, but not much room for error. So I guess it turns into “make as many as possible as quickly as possible”. At least they’re not hard to make!

Advertisements

Getting Crafty With It

Apologies for the hiatus from posting! It has been a busy (roller coaster) few weeks, with very little time to breathe. Life attacked, amidst trying to get wedding plans in place. However, with the first (tiny) round of invitations out, and most of the booking-related items falling into line, AND a dress (yay!), it seems like things are right on track.

Our wedding colours are based on ribbon. Why ribbon? Because it’s a beautiful tie-dye ribbon with blues and greens, very serene and nature-y.

It was a simpler choice than trying to narrow it down to just 2 colours. And we’re both happy (which is a difficult thing to achieve, it took 2 weeks just to agree on shower curtains!). It also gives us flexibility in colour coordination. We can go with “as long as it’s on the ribbon” as opposed to “as long as it nearly-perfectly matches this shade of blue”.

My dress, it turns out, is a very rare colour, known as “pearl”. The sales lady said, “the best part of finding your dress so early is that you can coordinate decorations!”. But…it’s impossible to find anything that colour. So. White and ribbon colours it remains. I cannot say anything else about the dress, other than that to me it is the ultimate princess dress. Completely impractical for an outdoor wedding.

However, what “pearl” can be coordinated with is my fascinator and jewelry. I am initially tackling the fascinator, and so far I have the idea that I want leaves with flowers made out of ribbon (and possible out of part of my dress that’s hemmed off). This past weekend I actually had time to make a leave, which is a lot like a tree of life, but leaf shaped.

Instead of wrapping the end of each “branch” around the edge, I wrapped it back along the way it came and re-incorporated it into the “trunk”. In terms of wire, I used a 24g, and about 8 pieces that were double the length of my desired leaf size.

It wasn’t hard to make, took me a couple of hours total. The longest (and most frustrating) part might have been twisting the wire to make the leaf shape! I highly recommend having a pair of needle nose pliers for this, though, to pull the wire through tight spots as you’re wrapping. This would work great on jewelry, as well, perhaps as a pendant. And it could made smaller or larger simply by using thinner or thicker wire, respectively.

I am a bit concerned about whether it may get caught in my hair. I tried to tuck all the ends in properly, but even just the wire itself could tug a few hairs out of place. My theory is that if I’m going to have an infinite number of pictures taken of me, I’d better look damned good.