Getting Crafty With It

Apologies for the hiatus from posting! It has been a busy (roller coaster) few weeks, with very little time to breathe. Life attacked, amidst trying to get wedding plans in place. However, with the first (tiny) round of invitations out, and most of the booking-related items falling into line, AND a dress (yay!), it seems like things are right on track.

Our wedding colours are based on ribbon. Why ribbon? Because it’s a beautiful tie-dye ribbon with blues and greens, very serene and nature-y.

It was a simpler choice than trying to narrow it down to just 2 colours. And we’re both happy (which is a difficult thing to achieve, it took 2 weeks just to agree on shower curtains!). It also gives us flexibility in colour coordination. We can go with “as long as it’s on the ribbon” as opposed to “as long as it nearly-perfectly matches this shade of blue”.

My dress, it turns out, is a very rare colour, known as “pearl”. The sales lady said, “the best part of finding your dress so early is that you can coordinate decorations!”. But…it’s impossible to find anything that colour. So. White and ribbon colours it remains. I cannot say anything else about the dress, other than that to me it is the ultimate princess dress. Completely impractical for an outdoor wedding.

However, what “pearl” can be coordinated with is my fascinator and jewelry. I am initially tackling the fascinator, and so far I have the idea that I want leaves with flowers made out of ribbon (and possible out of part of my dress that’s hemmed off). This past weekend I actually had time to make a leave, which is a lot like a tree of life, but leaf shaped.

Instead of wrapping the end of each “branch” around the edge, I wrapped it back along the way it came and re-incorporated it into the “trunk”. In terms of wire, I used a 24g, and about 8 pieces that were double the length of my desired leaf size.

It wasn’t hard to make, took me a couple of hours total. The longest (and most frustrating) part might have been twisting the wire to make the leaf shape! I highly recommend having a pair of needle nose pliers for this, though, to pull the wire through tight spots as you’re wrapping. This would work great on jewelry, as well, perhaps as a pendant. And it could made smaller or larger simply by using thinner or thicker wire, respectively.

I am a bit concerned about whether it may get caught in my hair. I tried to tuck all the ends in properly, but even just the wire itself could tug a few hairs out of place. My theory is that if I’m going to have an infinite number of pictures taken of me, I’d better look damned good.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Getting Crafty With It

  1. […] mentioned in a previous post, I found *the* dress. Actually, I found it over a month ago, on my second foray into the wedding […]

  2. […] goal for a few months now has been to make flowers from the ribbon that is our wedding theme colours. During my quest, I scoured pinterest in an attempt to collect ideas. When that yielded only […]

  3. […] Where did that leave us? Well, it left us with tulle. Lots and lots and lots of tulle. How much, you ask? Well, 450 yards, of course. That’s also known as 411.48 meters. Yes, we have nearly half a km of tulle. Now, before you think we’re insane (although we probably are), you should know that we got 150 yards of 3 different colours of tulle. The intent is to use them together, either braided or draped, to emulate our wedding colours. […]

  4. […] bought my wedding dress on my first official wedding dress shopping trip. Everyone was in love with it. I felt like a […]

Leave your comments here! I love comments :-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s